Ways to Donate

United Way of Skagit County

Thank you for considering a donation

United Way of Skagit County operates and advocates to build a better Skagit for all residents. Aside from supporting various organizations around Skagit County, we also offer services and programs specifically aimed and reducing the poverty levels by starting early on in people’s lives. Our current bold goal is that by 2025, all Skagit children entering kindergarten are ready to learn!

Our hope is that by providing kids the needed support and learning opportunities early on in their lives that it will lead to better things later on, such as higher graduation rate. It has been shown that children in Skagit County ranked lower in kindergarten readiness when compared to neighboring counties along the I5 corridor.

Ways you can make a difference in Skagit County.

We have a couple different options for donating depending on what is easiest for you.


Donate now from the ease of your mobile device, desktop, or laptop.

By Mail

You’re able to send a check or cash by mail. Please address the envelope to United Way of Skagit County, PO Box 451, Burlington, WA 98233

IRA Charitable Rollover

Since 2015, there has been a IRS provision called Qualified Charitable Distribution. This  allows anyone aged 70.5 or older to donate money from their IRA account directly to a charitable organization without that gift counting as “income”. Learn more about this option below.

Physical Goods

With two of our largest programs (Welcome Baby and the Diaper Bank) both being services that provide essentials to directly to families, we are always looking for donations of diapers, wipes, and other infant necessities. Contact us if you’re interested in donating supplies!


What is a qualified charitable distribution?
Generally, a qualified charitable distribution is an otherwise taxable distribution from an IRA (other than an ongoing SEP or SIMPLE IRA) owned by an individual who is age 70½ or over that is paid directly from the IRA to a qualified charity. See Publication 590-B, Distributions from Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs) for additional information.

Can a qualified charitable distribution satisfy my required minimum distribution from an IRA?

Yes, your qualified charitable distributions can satisfy all or part the amount of your required minimum distribution from your IRA. For example, if your 2018 required minimum distribution was $10,000, and you made a $5,000 qualified charitable distribution for 2018, you would have had to only withdraw another $5,000 to satisfy your 2018 total required minimum distribution of $10,000.

How are qualified charitable distributions reported on Form 1099-R?

Charitable distributions are reported on Form 1099-R for the calendar year the distribution is made.

How do I report a qualified charitable distribution on my income tax return?

To report a qualified charitable distribution on your Form 1040 tax return, you generally report the full amount of the charitable distribution on the line for IRA distributions. On the line for the taxable amount, enter zero if the full amount was a qualified charitable distribution. Enter “QCD” next to this line. See the Form 1040 instructions for additional information. You must also file Form 8606, Nondeductible IRAs, if: you made the qualified charitable distribution from a traditional IRA in which you had basis and received a distribution from the IRA during the same year, other than the qualified charitable distribution; or the qualified charitable distribution was made from a Roth IRA.

Thank you for looking into this option! We suggest contacting a personal financial advisor or accountant if you have specific questions regarding this form of donation.

Donate Today